Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Our Dear Beth

Here's what it says on my website now:

"In Loving Memory


On June 24, 2009, surrounded by family, my dear friend Beth lost her battle with brain cancer. Beth was first diagnosed in 2003. She weathered surgery and rehab and went on to live five adventure-filled years. In August of 2008 the cancer returned. More surgery, rehab, and chemo filled the following months. Beth continued to have adventures and a heroic attitude, taking a dream trip to Europe just three weeks before she died.

Beth and her husband Kevin were among our first friends in Seattle and have seen us through all of our good and bad times over the past thirteen years. They are both heroes in my eyes. We miss Beth terribly, and I am heartbroken to do this race in her memory instead of in her honor. At the same time, Beth's incredible strength, wit, and grace in the face of adversity compels me to fulfill my own dream of doing an Olympic-distance triathlon. I will think of her every mile that I train."

Not much to add to that. Even though it's been 3 weeks and we've had the memorial service, in some ways it still doesn't seem real. I think of Beth constantly, especially while I'm training. Peaceful rest to you, Beth.


No comments: