Thursday, November 13, 2008

My first donations!

Since fundraising is a huge part of my job for the next five months, I will talk about that on this blog as well. Last night I sent out my first request for donations and within an hour I already had two! I've also already gotten several very supportive emails from people saying how impressed they are that i am doing this and even offering to babysit, etc to help out (thanks Angie & Ryan!)

I have to say that these words of encouragement really do boost my confidence. This is a big undertaking, and at this early stage there have already been several instances where I've thought to myself "you know what would be a lot easier than doing this? Not doing it." But I am also reminded constantly of how important it is that I am doing it, and how much I want to. I've also decided that I really have no place to complain about how much time this is taking, etc. Every person doing this is making a big sacrifice, and most have their time and family lives much more impacted than I do. At our pizza dinner on Monday I sat next to two women who live in Olympia, about an hour south of Seattle. They came all the way here to go to our running practice. and both have kids and full-time jobs. the woman sitting across from me lives in Mukilteo, which is about 25 miles north of Seattle. As we were headed to our cars at 10PM, she told me that she had to get up at 4:30 the next morning to open the gym where she works as a trainer. On Veteran's Day. (Oh, and she's a veteran). So, no complaining from me!

I guess you're wondering why I'm not talking about training on this, my training blog. Our first swim practice was last night. Yesterday we got an email from Coach Cathy saying we could skip the practice if we were "accomplished swimmers." I am unusual in that the swim is my strongest sport. (Most people are really intimidated by the swim, and especially freaked out by the thought of swimming in clear ocean water where you can see all of the fish. But that sounds so cool!)

Anyway, I'm sure I will get my butt kicked once I actually get into the pool for team practice. But I decided I was accomplished enough to skip the first practice. I did my own swim workout at my gym yesterday instead. today is supposed to be a running day, but I'm not running. I seem to have tweaked my knee yesterday afternoon. Not doing anything sporty, mind you, just crouching down to pick up Caleb's toy. It's certainly not my first Mom Injury, but it is my first training injury. Four days in! Yeesh. Hopefully by the time I get on my bike Saturday morning it will feel better.

No comments: